At some point in your coaching career, you are likely to coach against an overmatched opponent. They may be missing players, having a bad day, or perhaps be in the wrong division. Whatever the cause, your team clearly and significantly overmatches them that day.
FCYBL has two rules that apply to mismatches:
- VHSL Mercy rule allows for a running clock when the lead reaches 30 points, in the second half, should both coaches agree.
- FCYBL forbids winning by a margin of more than 40 points under the premise that it is poor sportsmanship and it does very little to develop player skills. FCYBL has adopted penalties to deter coaches: The first violation results in a one-game suspension for the head coach, the second results in a forfeit loss and a two-game suspension, and the third also results in a forfeit and a head coach suspension for the remainder of the season.
So what should you do in a mismatched game?
- Recognize that you are in a mismatch
- Manage your pace of scoring
- Reduce your defensive pressure
- Always be respectful of opponent and the game
Also posted on the FCYBL.org website under "Documents"